Monday, October 10, 2011

Usagi Drop aka Bunny Drop: Review

Hey guys, another day, another review. Today's review is on Usagi Drop. I started my rehab at a good time, it seems. For some reason, a lot of what I would consider "quality anime" was being produced which gave me an opportunity to recover from my rather sudden departure from watching anime. In turn, Bunny Drop came into the picture. Before I say more, it is a slice of life. Yeah, yeah, yeah I know. I'm showing my taste...er. Age. Yeah, age. And boy, is it all about time. Well age, but we'll get there. Before I continue, I must confess that I haven't finished the manga, and though I will it will not be reflected here. After all, it's Anime Rehab, not Anime and Manga Rehab. Thanks and of course, sorry.

Reversed but you get the gist. Also, This is PUFFY. Yeah, Puffy Amiyumi PUFFY.

So, Bunny Drop is a story about Daikichi Kawachi a man in his early 30s who gets a rather unfortunate phone call about the passing of his grandfather. As he arrives to his grandfather's estate, he sees an unfamiliar child who we come to know as Rin. Rin, in the beginning of this tale is introduced as his grandfather's illegitimate daughter. This starts a whole lot of terrible whispers and treatment towards the child. After a small but rather stupid conversation, Daikichi takes up the task of taking care of Rin.

The episodes consist of Daikichi trying (and sometimes failing) to do a great job in balancing his work life and taking care of Rin, as well as a lot of self discovery since there's a weird but rather wonderful relationship seeing that Rin is a small girl. That being said, the series grows on you and as you watch them get better together, a heatwarming tale about a guardian and his child become what I believe to be the best show of the season, dare I say...The year.

Subs are a bit meh, but it's English and a good representation of the show's pace.

 No fighting, no magic powers, no crazy colored haired hero, no stupid plot to take over the world. A legitimate story about fictional people dealing with a common problem. More common here in the United States than in Japan considering what the birth rate is looking like in Japan, but nonetheless. A true slice of life. Daikichi becomes a better man, and a man of sacrifice as you watch him take a demotion in order to fit Rin into his schedule better. There's also other characters that blend so well. You meet Rin's mom Masako Yoshi, and come to understand the reason why she isn't around as well as the Nitani family, which features a smokin' hot MILF and a possible love interest for Daikichi named Yukari and a friend Kouki for Rin. They eventually help one another as they go through common problems as single parents. There's also Dakichi's immediate family who warm up to the reality that it's not Rin's fault that she's considered a black sheep and really is just a kid. The ending leaves itself open for a sequel but it really doesn't need it as it feels complete.

All in all, I really enjoyed this anime. Yes, I know how it ends in the manga, which caused me to hold back on releasing the review, but you know something... I'll probably buy Usagi Drop when it gets licensed. Loved it a lot and I think you will too.

Lemme know what you think in the comment box below!

No comments:

Post a Comment